It is a known fact that PostgreSQL and MySQL are extremely popular RDBMS available under open source license. Both database management systems are supplied with a lot of administration and development frameworks and have wide communities of fans. At the same time PostgreSQL provides powerful features for corporate-scale databases missing in MySQL:
- compatibility with generic SQL standards (including SQL-92)
- multiple concepts of indexing
- both asynchronous and synchronous replication
- asynchronous commit
Due to these advantages many organizations migrate their databases from MySQL to PostgreSQL. The procedure of database migration can be logically divided into multiple steps:
- Export MySQL table definitions, indexes and constraints in form of SQL statements
- Translate these statements into the destination format and import them into PostgreSQL database
- Export MySQL data into comma separated values (CSV) files
- Modify the data so it complies with PostgreSQL format and load it into the destination database
- Extract MySQL views, triggers and stored procedures in form of CREATE-statements
- Rewrite these statements according to PostgreSQL format and load to the target database
The steps specified above prove that database migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL is quite sophisticated process, it can take a lot of efforts if running manually. Moreover, the human factor may cause data loss or corruption. That’s why database professionals use special software for automating migration and eliminating risk of errors.
MySQL to PostgreSQL converter is one of tools to automate the database migration process with just a few clicks of mouse button running it smooth and safe.The porgram reads and writes the data directly, without middleware libraries or components in order to guaranty best performance of database migration. The produce is produced by Intelligent Converters, software vendor specializing in database conversion, migration and synchronization since 2001.
MySQL to PostgreSQL converter works with all versions of Linux/Unix/Windows MySQL and PostgreSQL including forks and PaaS variations of DBMS such as MariaDB, Percona, Heroku. For scripting and scheduling purposes the product provides command line support.Other capabilities of MySQL to PostgreSQL converter:
- if target PostgreSQL database exists, the tool provides options to merge or to synchronize it with MySQL data
- rename and change type or attributes of particular columns or exclude them from migration
- filter data for migration using ‘Select’ statements
- export MySQL database into SQL script for those cases where PostgreSQL server doesn’t allow direct connection (the script can be loaded to PostgreSQL using pgAdmin or psql standard tools later)
As every product of Intelligent Converters, MySQL to PostgreSQL converter comes with unlimited tech support and one year subscription for updates that allows customers receive new version of the product for free within 1 year after purchasing.